Saturday 21 May 2011

Paris

Had a lovely weekend in Paris and it really is a really beautiful city.  I took with me my Nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens.  I fully charged my battery and took a spare memory card.  It was very bright and sunny but with the tall buildings and trees it made many areas shaded so the camera controls had to be constantly changed for the correct exposure.  I read before I went that the best settings for a bright sunny day for street photography is for the aperture to be set at F8 and the shutter to be 1/320.  These setting worked very well in most cases so I left the setting at this in the hope of capturing a moment.

Capturing images of random people on the streets can be quite a daunting experience but I definitely feel that towards the end of the weekend I was definitely improving.  I shot a few images on the metro and at night which I had to adjust the ISO settings and although I did not have my tripod for the slow shutter speed they turned out quite nice.  I was really hoping for some rain, to capture some reflections and patterns and textures that can be captured after the rain and to clear the streets a little because the street of Paris are really busy but the weekend was very bright and sunny.

Safety Considerations

Whilst in Paris I was always aware of the safety issues involved with being in a city that I had never been to before.  I firstly obtained a map to ensure that I would not get lost and to guide me round the city with ease.  This ensured that I stayed around major city sights as cities can be dangerous places if you should venture into unsafe areas.  I ensured that I was aware of the roads and the way the crossings operated as they do not make a noise like the crossings in this country so you have to check that the green walk sign is on.  There are high volumes of traffic in the City of Paris and I always ensured that I used the crossings or subways provided.  Whilst using the Metro system I always considered the safety considerations of being close to the tracks and how quickly the doors on the trains open and close.  Reasonable care was always taken whilst around the main monuments as there are high volumes of people around and whilst in the Artist Quarter we were made aware of the pickpockets that operate in the area.

Contrasting my work with researched photographers



Image by Eric Kim


1/160 F6.3 ISO 200

Image by Andre Kertesz

 
1/320 F8 ISO 1000
Image by Eric Kim
 



1/125 F5.6 ISO 200













2 comments:

  1. I really like the last one...I see you done research very well compering thees images, well done....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Can you make sure that you collected all your best images from paris together, or do you need help from me to go through your top 40 for example. I don't want to look through hundreds but equally I want to make sure that you have the best selection to post produce.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete