Sunday 8 May 2011

Assignment Plan Theme 2 - Reportage

My second theme is Reportage and I plan to shoot these images whilst away in Paris at the week-end.  I will use my Nikon D90 and my 18-105mm lens F3.5-5.6 for most of the shots but will take my Nikon Macro lens 105mm AF-S F2.8.  I will not really be looking at shooting any close up shots so I do not think I will be using my Macro lens. I am not taking my tripod so any night shots I will either have to balance the camera or try free hand.  I will fully charge my battery, take a spare battery and spare memory card for the trip so I have ample memory and battery life.

I have never been to Paris before so I am not familiar with the city at all.  I have researched maps and located a great place to stay just off the Champs Elysee's near the Arc De Triomphe and 15 minutes walk from the Eiffel Tower.  I plan to visit some of the famous landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triompe, Notre Dame and around the beautiful streets and along the River Seine.  I would also like to shoot some images on the Metro as during my research I have been inspired by images taken on underground railways. 





I have spoken to Paul during class and he showed me his wonderful images taken when he visited Paris and he has photographed on the London Underground and made me quite aware of how dark it is for exposure and without a tripod I know this is going to be quite tricky.  He also made me aware of how busy Paris is and given me some tips on places of interest and places to photograph like the waterfalls outside the Louvre.


Eric Kim being spotted shooting from the hip on the Seoul Metro.  A candid look of surprise and uncertainty lies in the girls expression.


I have researched photographers who have been to Paris and a few people have said that around the famous landmarks if they have used tripods they have been moved on even though other tourists have been happily shooting away freehand.  I have read that there is a law in Paris that no images can be taken of the landmarks and used in literature but I cannot see that the law would hold away from Paris and this is probably why the people with tripods were moved on.

I think that my final 10 images will be post produced and converted to black and white.  I will be looking for colour, textures, patterns, reflections and shadows that will enhance my images once converted to black and white.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Good preparation for your trip to paris, it is great to have a flexible approach for street photography but equally you must have your technique correct alongside a good visual style gathered from influences in research.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete