Friday 4 February 2011

Introduction

At present I have a passion for Landscape, Travel and Street Photography but I am looking forward to doing some close up work, which I need to invest in a macro lens and some portrait photography.  I really like black and white photography especially portraiture shot in black and white.

I have been inspired by Dennis Morris not for his work photographing Bob Marley and the Sex Pistols although I do love this work but by his collections Growing up Black and The Jamaican Street Scene.



1/200  F18  ISO 400
This image was taken up in the mountains in a local neighbourhood in St Lucia.  I really like the colours against the earthy landscape in this image.  A natural image shot at a distance and then zoomed and cropped in photoshop.  This image represents the Rule of Thirds in all perspectives, the man the tree and the embankment in the background.  The Tonal range is low key although the sunlight highlights the contrast on the embankment reinforcing the shape.


1/200  F18  ISO 400


This image was taken up in the mountains in the rain forest in Dominica.  I really like the vibrant colours of the shirt and hat against the textured background of the rain forest.  This highlights the Dennis Morris concept of pride in appearance beautifully.





I think sunsets are a big part of landscape photography and I really love sunrise and sunset photography.  This image was shot just of the coast of Antiqua at sunset.  I have shot this image directly into the sun and the high shutter speed and smaller aperture have worked well together to give a good exposure.  I have cropped the image across the top of the picture which has removed the sun in the distance but a line of light still remains right through the image as the sun is shining down on the sea.


1/2000 F16 ISO 400
This landscape image was taken just off the coast of St Lucia.  The slow shutter speed and large aperture have bought out some lovely colours in the skyline.  The image has been cropped in photoshop.  This image is low key but shows great colour.

1/25  F4.5  ISO 400


1/320  F13  ISO 640
I like shooting in extreme weather conditions like snow.  This image was shot on a winter morning as the sun was rising.  I shot this with quite a small aperture allowing for a wide depth of field.  A fast shutter speed was needed to gain the correct exposure in the extreme weather conditions.  I have been inspired by Ansel Adams who has created some brilliant snow images shot in black and white.





This image was shot on a winter morning at Hoar Cross. This shot was taken early in the morning just after sunrise.  Shot with a small aperture which has given a wide depth of field and also ensured exposure which can be a little tricky in extreme weather conditions.  I have desaturated this image in Photoshop.

1/125  F13  ISO 640

Whilst completing level 1 Photography one of the units was Digital Manipulation something that I was not really interested in until I started to research Helen Sear and Julia Fullerton Batten.  I really like Helen Sears collection "Inside the view" and Julia Fullerton Batten's "Teenage Stories"  This next image was inspired by Helen Sear without the artwork.


This post gives an idea of what I like and what I have been working on recently.  I am now looking forward to exploring new styles of photography especially macro and portrait.  I would also like to do some work in the studio as I did not venture into the studio much whilst doing level one.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Deb, here's the link I was talking about: http://www.photographyblogger.net/10-eyepopping-eyeball-photos/ Try not to drive your little girl too nuts;)

    ReplyDelete